Friday 29 September 2017

Review: Ben and Jerrys Vegan Peanut Butter and Cookies

It's taken a long long time for their vegan range to FINALLY find it's way down to our side of the lake, and I sincerely hope that it's been worth the wait. Starting off the taste testing of their non dairy pints with the one that appeals to me the most: the peanut butter one!


On their website, Ben and Jerry's describe this as:

Vanilla non-dairy ice cream with chocolate sandwich cookies & crunchy peanut butter swirls

What?! Swirls of pure peanut butter?! Coming from someone who lives in a country where, since the discontinuation of the peanut butter cookie core flavour, there's only one peanut butter flavour available (pb cup), this excites me greatly!

Texture: It seems to have the creamy spoonable texture of the old tubs, though I noticed it took a teeny bit longer to defrost than the swich up flavour that I was tasting at that exact same time. No matter- good things come to those who wait. This has many similarities to swich up actually texture wise. Once again its an extremely busy tub. I am not exaggerating when I say there was peanut butter EVERYWHERE. In fact I don't think I had a mouthful without any! Not complaining though- the peanut butter was exactly the right texture, a smooth sumptuous, stick to the mouth sort of texture with crunchy peanut pieces. The cookie pieces where again ginormous and abundant, giving the tub a lot of character and ensuring that every bite was jam packed with different textures.

Taste: First bite? BAM! There's the peanut butter! Strong, creamy, sweet, slightly salty. You completely forget that this isn't a regular ben and jerry's tub as you sink into a wonderworld of pure peanut heaven! The cookies are strong again, but I don't know if it was just this tub but they seemed less overwhelming than in swich up. Maybe it was the counteraction with the peanut butter. Two dominating flavours which go together surprisingly well and compliment each other. At first I wondered why they decided for the base flavour to be vanilla but now having tasted it I approve greatly. It's mild, creamy but still plays it's part, and somehow by accompanying the chunks enhances their flavour. Many different flavours going on in there but they all go together well.

Overall: You can tell by the taste of the actual ice cream that it is vegan- there's something about the creaminess that just isn't the same. saying that though, it is not unpleasant at all. In fact I'm astounded that Ben and Jerry's produced this non dairy masterpiece! Vegan? GET THIS! Not vegan? GET THIS ANYWAY!

Rating: 9/10


No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Ben and Jerry's Blondie Brownie Core

I thought it was about time that I dedicate a post to this flavour. Perhaps if you have followed me on Instagram for a while (@peanutbutterb...