Thursday 21 September 2017

Review: Haagen Dazs Salted Caramel

Now I heard great things about this pint before first digging into it. Ah, I remember the expectation and excitement building up. I like salted caramel as much as the next person, but I couldn't help suspect that this might be an overrated flavour. Was I right? Or was I proved wrong?



Haagen Dazs describe this tub as:

Caramel ice cream combined with sweet crunchy caramel pieces then swirled with sumptuous caramel

Ooh! Sumptuous you say? Well then, let's just see about that...

Upon opening- wham! Jesus Christ that is a LOT of caramel swirl! I can already tell that this tub is NOT going to be a boring one. I could actually see more caramel than ice cream at first...

Texture: Haagen Dazs you never fail to disappoint on the creamy front, but you do sometimes do so on the number and size of chunks within. However this pint was something else. So many pieces of caramel brittle, mostly quite small but big enough to provide a satisfying crunch. The caramel swirl continued to exist throughout the tub. There was so much of it! It didn't overwhelm the ice cream but was guaranteed to feature in most spoonfuls.

Taste: Oh. My. God. Creamy yet substantially sweet caramel ice cream with a strong SUMPTUOUS caramel swirl. The caramel swirl was very slightly salted but mostly just added a sweet BANG to the creamy delights of the ice cream itself. The swirl is less thick in texture than that in their Dulce de Leche flavour however the strong lightly salty brittle more than makes up for this. The brittle provides a sweet and salty explosion of caramelly flavour that no other ice cream that I have ever tasted has achieved. It was salty, but not in excess- just salty enough. I can only compare their taste to softer crumblier werthers originals with a hint of salt. Wow.

Overall: Try it. I defy anyone not to fall head over heels for this flavour. I usually like the chunks bigger in my ice cream but the flavour of the brittle was so powerful and divine that this didn't matter in the slightest. This wasn't what I expected, this was better. This exceeded all expectations and has raised the bar through the roof. Haagen Dazs I salute you! Best flavour you've provided me with so far.

Rating: 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Ben and Jerry's Blondie Brownie Core

I thought it was about time that I dedicate a post to this flavour. Perhaps if you have followed me on Instagram for a while (@peanutbutterb...